Saturday, January 1, 2011

Humble Home for a Weary Wanderer.


First off thank you so much for being a great girlfriend of one year Ashtin. I wish my flight did not have to depart on our anniversary, and thank you for being so understanding. Love you.

But now, after hours of flying and longer hours of waiting in Airport purgatory:

Day 1
Here i sit. Blowing smoke rings in the middle of the jungle listening to birds sing songs i've never heard from trees i've never seen. The word alien falls face down in attempting to describe it.
The smells change by the minute; from burning trash to spicy smells from out of nowhere to sweat to wild flowers and all of these are peculiar enough not to be off-putting. Everything is so pungeant and strange that my pipe tobacco seems bland for the first time ever.
My hut looks looks like this: Granite stilts hold up a canopy of woven monocot leaves shingled and lashed to long wooden supports about 6 centimeters in diameter. The whole chaotic mass constitutes an A frame that gives me doubts about it rain resistance. My pink mosquito net hovers like a pragmatic bed canopy over a twin sized mattress on a bamboo frame. A coarse red yellow and green rug covers the wooden slats of my 3 by 5 meter chamber. The only embellishments are a large steel box, a small flourescent lantern and an electric fan from the 80's or earlier, i can't tell but they seem more than enough, maybe because of the limited space.
the terms meagre and humble come to mind but in the most endearing sense. At this point it strikes a chord with the adventurous and childlike side of me. I love it. Its the tree house i never had as a kid. All mine complete with a trap door and a window operated by a pulley. My room mate is a virginian and his accent is subtle and warm. He's a fish enthusiast who thought ahead enough to pack a fly-rod and close to a hundred flies. Bradley is his name. And he looks like one, with broad shoulders and a very strong looking chin and brow. He could have played football, i don't know, but i suspect he wouldn't want to subject his mind to such a battery. He and I spent the morning exploring some of the campus and photographing interesting flora and fauna.
We made our way to Anupama's house where her adorable daughter showed us around. She showed us the well where fire ants patrolled, the garden where the chickens were not allowed, the pots in which guppies were abiding, and the highlight: a baby pineapple. All the while we were being followed by the resident dogs. Then Anu's husband came out, offered us coffee and casual conversation. I accepted both. I lit my pipe and enjoyed the simple day layed out before me... excluding the immigration papers.

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. Looks like that camera will do alright for you. Post often, as I will check it often. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, looks like you're going to have a great semester. I'm excited for all that you will learn and experience. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete